Wednesday 15 January 2014

Discovering the woodland

For a few years now I have had an interest in the ancient practice of coppicing as well as the many crafts which have become associated with this method of woodland management. In the last year I have been fortunate to begin to build up experience in the management of woodlands through coppicing; initially with the Kent Wildlife Trust and now with a living history museum in Norfolk called Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse.

Volunteers working in our local woodland @ Gressenhall Farm and Workouse
I've started this blog so that I can begin to document the experiences and skills that I'm gaining in the traditional practice of coppicing. I am hoping that this will encourage others to also take an interest in this incredible tradition, whilst also inspiring them to support coppice workers in their local area.

The positive outcomes of coppicing are far reaching, from being hugely beneficial to our native wildlife, providing social benefits and producing a sustainable source of timber based products. This potential for coppicing to be so beneficial is what really appeals to me.

I hope to also use this blog as a platform to display the things that I like to make from the wood that I collect from the coppice. I also aim to keep a record of the green woodworking processes and techniques used to make these items.



I hope that this blog will be of interest to people from a variety of backgrounds, and will encourage you to explore and get to know your local woodlands!

No comments:

Post a Comment