Friday 31 January 2014

Curious Curves of The Ash Tree

Fraxinus excelsior, or the European Ash tree is a species that’s been in the news a substantial amount over the last year or so, due to the recent discovery of the ash die-back fungal disease, Chalara fraxinea. It really is a shame that we may lose a huge number of this rather amazing species in the UK. I've described it as amazing purely because of the diversity of uses that the timber from an ash tree has, let alone for the many invertebrate species associated with this species.

A few posts ago I mentioned the bend that can often be found in the base of ash tree trunks. Whilst visiting Oxburgh Hall on a work day out the other day I came across these incredible ash trees, with an almost 90 degree curve in the stems.

***

I usually go for stems of a slightly smaller diameter to carve my spoons out of, so that I only have to split the wood once in half. However, I seem to recall Ben Law talking about using this type of growth in ash trees for the construction of a certain type of support or beam in his woodland house featured on Grand Designs. I did a quick search on the internet to see if I could find out any information on this type of growth, and a name for it; this wasn't very successful though. It would be great to find out why ash trees often exhibit this type of growth. Leave a comment if you have any ideas or can point me in the direction of finding out more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment